An independent firm delivers independent strategies.
Investment models should guide but they shouldn’t dictate.
Gordon Private Wealth is an independent firm that does not rely on any specific “one-size-fits-all” approach. We maintain a point-of-view that serves as a core philosophy for why we do things the way that we do, but ultimately, when it comes to execution, we aim to do what’s appropriate for the investor.
Have you ever seen books and seminars by advisors that attempt to force-fit every client into their model regardless of the client’s unique situation? We believe models should provide guidance but should never dictate. We’re client-focused, not model-focused.
Distinct philosophies, underscored by flexibility.
Just as our strategies are independent, so, too, are our core philosophies that underlie them. We base many of our recommendations on these philosophies, so, depending our your goals and circumstances, we may advise you to:
- Avoid blindly following the crowd. Many of today’s popular investment approaches may be inherently suboptimal. A typical investor’s decision may be heavily influenced by the actions of others. If everybody is investing in a particular stock or a particular fund, there is a tendency for other investors to do the same thing. However, this strategy can backfire in the long run. Investors should seek to avoid a “follow-the-herd” mentality and focus on an investment strategy that is suitable for them.
- Be country and cap-weight agnostic. Investors should consider investing in companies that are located around the globe – not just in the U.S. – and that have various capitalization weights.
- Consider alternative investments. Individual investors now have access to alternative investments which historically have only been available to institutions. Affluent investors may be under-allocated to alternative investments because they are either intimidated by them or they don’t understand them. We help clients understand what alternative investments are, how they work, and if they may be appropriate for consideration.
- Invest across the liquidity spectrum. Consider fully liquid, semi-liquid, and illiquid investment strategies. Different liquidity structures give clients various levels of access and diversification.
- Engage in disruption on an as-needed basis. What if you hold assets in a taxable account with unrealized gains, and implementing a solution means incurring taxable gains? Rather than have a client feel the tax pinch by selling everything at once, we may take a different approach to implementing the solution that is appropriate for the client.
* This is for general information only and not intended to provide specific advice or recommendations for any individual. Investing involves risk including loss of principal. No strategy, including diversification, can ensure success or protect against loss. International investing involves special risks such as currency fluctuation and political instability and may not be suitable for all investors. This information is not intended to be a substitute for specific individualized tax advice. We suggest that you discuss your specific tax issues with a qualified tax advisor.